The Archdiocese of Boston to hold its first-ever Armenian genocide commemoration
The Archdiocese of Boston to hold its first-ever Armenian genocide commemoration –
Boston Globe – Cardinal Sean P. O’Malley said Wednesday the Archdiocese of Boston will hold its first commemoration of the Armenian genocide, the latest Catholic Church effort to acknowledge the events that killed 1.5 million a century ago.
O’Malley is set to preside over a 4 p.m. prayer service April 23 at the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in the South End.
In a statement, O’Malley referred to an acknowledgment last year by Pope Francis that the World War I-era deaths at the hands of Ottoman Turks were the first genocide of the 20th century, a statement that angered the Turkish government.
O’Malley also expressed solidarity with Christians who are suffering around the world.
“Pope Francis made clear that the church acknowledges the suffering of so many who lost their lives in witness to their faith and that, tragically, such witness continues through the persecution of Christians taking place throughout the world today,” O’Malley said.
“Building on our bond as Christians, the Archdiocese of Boston joins with our Armenian brothers and sisters to make this remembrance in common prayer to our Lord,” O’Malley added.