(The Armenian Report) – In a show of solidarity, the movement “Europeans for Artsakh” organized events in more than fifty cities across fourteen European countries, standing up for the indigenous Armenian population of Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh on January 27 and 28. Countries participating included Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Romania, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the Netherlands, and the United Kingdom.
Citizens of these European nations united through diverse actions and gatherings, collectively urging their national and EU leaders to take decisive actions. Their key demands included:
1. Condemn Azerbaijan’s Actions: Call for a clear and unequivocal condemnation of Azerbaijan’s ethnic cleansing and genocidal policies against the indigenous Armenian population of Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh.
2. Sanctions Against Aggressors: Advocate for individual targeted sanctions against the military-political leadership of Azerbaijan involved in illegal activities, including the blockade of the Lachin corridor, ceasefire violations, the attack on September 19-20, and the ethnic cleansing of the indigenous Armenian population.
3. Release Armenian Captives: Demand the immediate and unconditional release of all Armenian captives, civilian hostages, prisoners of war since September 27, 2020, and the political and military leadership of Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh abducted since the end of September 2023.
4. International Security Guarantees: Work towards establishing tangible international security guarantees, enabling the indigenous Armenian population of Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh to exercise their inalienable right to return to their homeland, along with providing Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh an internationally guaranteed status of self-governance supporting this right.
5. Protect Armenia’s Sovereignty: Apply effective pressure on Azerbaijan to prevent any form of aggression towards the Republic of Armenia and actions endangering Armenia’s sovereignty.
6. Assist Displaced Population: Provide Armenia with adequate assistance to manage the influx of forcibly displaced Armenian population from Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh.
The “Europeans for Artsakh” platform serves as a pan-European collaborative movement, uniting representative bodies of the Armenian community in fifteen European countries. Their mission is to mobilize citizens, garnering support for the fundamental rights of the indigenous Armenian population of Artsakh/Nagorno-Karabakh, while raising awareness across political, social, and cultural spheres in Europe.